Tuesday, August 26, 2008

9 to 5

Taking the train to work every morning. I take the shortest route possible to reach in time. I meet the same people every morning who go in the opposite direction. I wait for the train at platform number 2. There, I meet another group of people. Wearing different clothing with each passing day but, for sure the same people.

Sitting or standing in the train. Reading or listening to music. Watching others or staring out the window. At that time, you are there, existing, breathing, thinking but, when you look back, can you honestly tell me it was a meaningful one? One you will remember? Ok. What about telling me what you were thinking then? You don't remember don't you.

Walking again. This time to company of course. I pass the same building, the statues, the same man walking his dog, the lady cleaning the entrance, I wait for the traffic light, I see the same animal bus, I see students cycling to school, I walk pass the art shop, the Kobe beef shop, the post office......

In company; work. Lunch; eat. Then, start work again.

After work, the journey back. I shall spare you this time.

Back home. Then what? Dinner, relaxation, bath, sleep.

And guess what? What happens tomorrow? Yup, you know the answer. Its the same cycle over and over again.

Tell me. What's the difference from being a student then?

If its work that "helps people", if there's passion, if there's fulfillment; then, Yes. If its just about the money then, no.

Still, a 9 to 5? I wonder.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

jia you babe.

Joyce said...

Boann: Yeah. Jia you-ing. Work's great. Learning stuff. People there are sooooo nice and helpful. :D Its the routine that gets to me.

But, Im counting my blessings everyday. :)))))

Wee Kien said...

so now wondering if i have the passion to be an engineer.......

Anonymous said...

boohoo! that was the feeling i had last year too. i rmbr if i walk a certain pace, i can cross the road with green light all the time! and there's the same pile of puke i pass by for a few days until it slowly gets washed away.. haha
hmm.. im thinking wat shall we have for dinner tonight?!

stevelee67 said...

so fast complain.!!
right now Im in my 2nd internship
:(

u will have more to come...must learn the art to "curi tulang" :p

Joyce said...

Chwk: Still got lots of time to figure out one lah. No worries.

MayC: Ya. Right. So similar its kinds freaky. Like we are somehow programed to do the exact same things.

SteveLee: Haiyah, not really complaining lah. Its just that the routine is sian and freaky. But internship itself is really fun. Learning lots and the people there are really nice. :D Haha... you jia you wif your 2nd internship lah. Dun curi tulang too much. :P