Monday, February 8, 2010

On being ladies and gentleman

Liz and Jack went out to dinner at a very chic restaurant. As they sat down at the table, Jack immediately moved the candle from the center of the setting to the side of the table. Liz looked at him kinda funny, not understanding why he did that but, not really caring either. Later, however, when Liz reached across the table to steal some of Jack's food (as she always does), she realized he moved the candle so her sleeve wouldn't catch fire when she reached across the table. Jack's manner and grace were so attuned to her as a friend, that he knew her moves before she did. That tiny gesture ended up becoming the pivotal moment of the episode and changed the course of their business relationship.

I'm telling you guys again, women notice the small stuff. They notice the gentleness/gentlemenliness more than if you use the right fork at dinner. I'm a very lucky man, Garance notices every little kindness I offer her, she doesn't miss a thing. Knowing that makes it so much more rewarding to do even more little things for her. I'll be honest, my biggest obsession in life right now is not better shoes, more suits or a bigger career but, to simply be a more graceful man for my graceful woman.


This is a part of The Sartorialist post that I saw today. And as I read it I went "Yes, here's a guy that gets it!" Its all about the manners. It does not matter what kind of relationship we are talking about here, manners are super important in all our interactions with other people. Be it our friends, family, or the shop keeper. A dusting of P's and Q's goes a long way. I find its like a dying art form. Most people hardly bother anymore. I am not saying that I am the most polite person around. In fact, I am quite ashamed to own up to some of my past transgressions. But I do try. I feel its an important part of what being human means.

4 comments:

Kelly said...

nice one=)

Anonymous said...

i must admit that sometimes we do take our friends and family for granted that the p's and q's hardly crosses our minds anymore.

love this post :)
thanks :)

joann

Joyce said...

Kelly n Boann: Wah se....did not expect any comments for this post la. Haha.... thanks.

Ya lor. Serious, sometimes feel like I let lose too much. Lets all jia you have more manners. :D

Joyce said...

Argghh....spelling mistake.

let loose...